Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships provide support to young people who want a future in the food and farming industry. Since the Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships begun in 2017,12 talented young people have been presented with $5000 to develop their red meat sector careers and capabilities in food and farming.
In 2019 we are continuing our commitment to investing in our future red meat sector leaders and recognising and rewarding excellence emerging in our communities.
We will be officially launching the scholarships 18th April 2019. The timeline for this year’s Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships is outlined below:
- Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships 2019 will be launched
- Applications will be accepted after this date
- Entries to Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships close
- Winners to be chosen by a panel of judges
- Silver Fern Farm Youth Scholarship winners will be advised that they have been successful
30th July/1st August
- Winners attend Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Farmer Conference in July and receive their Youth Scholarship
Scholarship applications are open to people wanting to develop their career in the food or farming industry with interests in; red meat, farming, agriculture, marketing and sales, research and development, food processing, cooking and food technology.
- Each scholarship is valued at $5000 to be paid in the year it is awarded
- Recipients will be presented with the scholarship at the Plate to Pasture Farmers Conference in July
- Recipients will receive flights, accommodation and attendance at Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Farmer Conference, details to be advised
- Scholarships will be awarded to applicants from the following Silver Fern Farms regions:
- Upper North Island
- Western North Island
- Eastern North Island
- Upper South Island
- Lower South Island
- Judges Choice
Full details of the criteria and judging process will be provided when the Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships are launched in April.
For any further information or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us here.
Six inspirational young people from around New Zealand have been named as the Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships recipients for 2018. Each winner received $5000 to further their careers in the red meat sector.
This year applicants were asked to describe their ‘Big Idea’ for the red meat industry, as well as naming three challenges or opportunities they believe are important to the sector. Their answers ranged from developing niche markets for toddlers and the elderly, re-modelling traditional cow breeding programmes and engaging with the education sector to encourage young New Zealanders to look at our industry for careers.
The Silver Fern Farms Plate to Pasture Youth Scholarships were awarded to the following people:
Chloe Saxton - Upper North Island
Monique Yule - Western North Island
Lucy Hewitt - Eastern North Island
Louise Schwass - Upper South Island
George Blyth - Lower South Island
Chloe Hannah – Judges Choice